As someone who loves magazines, I read a lot. But one of my favorite issues all year is Businessweek’s annual How-To issue. The magazine dedicates much of its coverage to a series of small, as-told-to pieces that explain how to accomplish many practical (and not-so-practical) goals.
This year’s issue, which came out earlier this month, did not disappoint, and there’s lots of great stuff for any business owner. You can find all the stories online, but here are a few of my favorites:
- Orioles manager Buck Showalter (above) on how to fire someone (without resorting to the bat).
- Chicago mayor and well-known firebrand Rahm Emanuel on how to motivate people.
- How to run a board meeting.
- Howard Schutlz on how to make coffee (gasp) at home.
- Google VP Marissa Mayer on how to avoid burnout. Hint: it involves dinner and soccer games.
- And, in case your negotiations or motivation don’t go as planned, Manny Pacquiao’s former trainer Freddie Roach teaches you how to take a punch.