Archive for the ‘Harvest Group’ tag
Here’s our digest of fun and interesting stuff from the web for this short, post-New Year’s week. Have a great weekend!
- Year-end check-up for your company.
- Related: Resolutions of Marilyn Monroe, Woody Guthrie.
- It’s official: 2012 was the warmest year on record since 1895.
- Bring focus to your landscape design.
- Frost flowers.
- Fail more and fail better.
- Above: Marketing isn’t magic.
For your reading pleasure, here’s our latest collection of interesting stuff from the web. Have a great weekend!
- The richest metro areas in the United States.
- Top social media trends of 2013.
- Great training opportunity on tap in Colorado from L&L columnist Jim Huston.
- The latest edition of MOWmentum is live! Get it for iOS and Android tablets today.
- Learn how to best use local search.
- 5 invasive plants you can eat. (via Bates Nursery)
- Pantone releases its official color of 2013.
- Above: Bill and Ed discuss the foundation of a plan for profit.
Here’s our weekly digest of cool and interesting stuff. Happy reading, and we’ll see you next week!
- It’s now cheaper to buy than rent in America’s top 100 markets.
- See also: Trulia’s 2012 rent vs. buy report.
- New stats on who’s using smartphones.
- Also: New stats on online photo sharing.
- How office park landscapes can reduce water use. (via @BldgOpMgmt)
- Thinking about supermodels.
- Amazon fungi: Making it rain.
- Above: What you need to know about gross margins from the Harvest Group.
Steve Cesare sent us this list of OSHA’s most frequently cited workplace safety and health violations for fiscal year 2011. This list applies to all industries, not just landscaping, but as the government starts discussing tighter restrictions on the use of cell phones by drivers, it’s a good time to start thinking about your company’s approach to safety.
The top 10, starting with the most frequent violations are as follows:
- Fall protection in construction,
- Scaffolding in construction,
- Hazard communication,
- Respiratory protection,
- Electrical wiring methods,
- Powered industry trucks,
- Ladders in construction,
- Electrical general requirements, and
- Machine guarding.
Steve is a PH.D. in industrial psychology and an HR expert with the Harvest Group. His series, on the top 10 HR mistakes landscapers make, ran for a good portion of 2011. And, he’s back in January with a new column, House Calls, in our print edition.
Here’s his July piece on how to prevent and respond to OSHA violations.
Here’s a round-up of some of the best stuff we found on the Internet
this last week.
- Zappo’s will give its new trainees three large to quit. (Previously.)
- Landscape architects sound off on the Occupy movement and what it means for public spaces.
- Gibson Landscape discusses the May Rule.
- A podcast from Steve Cesare at the Harvest Group on some of the top HR mistakes landscapers make.
- Seth Godin explains what your real competitive advantage is. Hint, it’s not (just) working harder.
- Finding a market in a dying industry: the USPS.
- Above: Leonardo DaVinci’s to-do list.