Archive for the ‘Heads Up’ tag
Before Next Level University got started yesterday, I sat down with Gary Mallory, owner of Heads Up Landscaping in Albuquerque, N.M.
Gary has played in more than 1,000 basketball games and coached more than 600, and told me he runs his company like he does his teams.
Here are his nine guiding team principles:
- Have fun
- The team’s goals are more important than the individual’s.
- Never quit. Never give up. If things are tough, stopping isn’t going to make them any easier.
- Don’t blame the ref. They may not do a good job, but it’s not their fault if you lose. It’s your own.
- Know your role and master it. You may not be the star shooter, but you still play an important role in the team’s success.
- The team needs to know the big picture. “Adults shouldn’t work their asses off and not know where they are,” Mallory said.
- Be tough on your teammates, but don’t throw anyone under the bus.
- Cheating is losing.
- Be quick, but don’t hurry.