Archive for the ‘Jim Huston’ tag
Longtime L&L columnist Jim Huston was in town last week, and he stopped into our offices for a quick visit en route to Michigan.
Jim spends a fair amount of time on the road, speaking at various conferences and visiting with clients. Apart from the bounty he brings in from his travels, he always has an interesting perspective on the industry. Here are three quick points he made during our talk.
- By and large, contractors have adjusted to the economy and it’s sporadic and anemic growth during the past few years. Those who survived the recession have learned how to grow in trying times.
- One of those ways to grow – cutting overhead and getting lean – has worked, to a point. Many contractors have leaned out as far as they can go.
- Housing markets – traditionally such a driver of the landscape industry – are up across the country, which bodes well for many.
All in all, he hears positive things from his audiences and clients, which dovetails with what I’ve been hearing in my own travel and reporting as well.
You can get more from Jim every month in his column.
For your reading pleasure, here’s our latest collection of interesting stuff from the web. Have a great weekend!
- The richest metro areas in the United States.
- Top social media trends of 2013.
- Great training opportunity on tap in Colorado from L&L columnist Jim Huston.
- The latest edition of MOWmentum is live! Get it for iOS and Android tablets today.
- Learn how to best use local search.
- 5 invasive plants you can eat. (via Bates Nursery)
- Pantone releases its official color of 2013.
- Above: Bill and Ed discuss the foundation of a plan for profit.