Archive for the ‘OPEI’ tag
I spend most of last week in Colorado visiting with the ALCC and attending the OPEI annual meeting. I learned a lot from both groups, but on my return, I found this post from an Ohio ex-pat that I found very useful considering that much of the state is on fire.
From the Oregon State Library, a 1946 U.S. Forest Service guide on what to do do when you’re lost in the woods (emphasis mine):
- Stop, sit down and try to figure out where you are. Use your head, not your legs.
- If caught by night, fog or a storm, stop at once and make camp in a sheltered spot. Build a fire in a safe place. Gather plenty of dry fuel.
- Don’t wander about. Travel only down hill.
- If injured, choose a clear spot on a promontory and make a signal smoke.
- Don’t yell, don’t run, don’t worry, and above all, don’t quit.
And, if you don’t often find yourself in the woods, I think the same advice applies pretty well to your business, too.
I’m pulling together my social media presentation for the OPEI annual meeting next week, and I found this TED talk from Seth Godin. In the short video, Godin outlines his thinking on tribes – the groups people organize themselves in. Increasingly, these tribes are online, and involve tools like Twitter, Facebook and other social media.
It’s worth your 15 minutes.
Fresh on the heels of Brian’s trip to Spain, I’m out on the road for about half of June. I’m visiting with folks across the country over the next few weeks.
- BASF media summit, Chicago – This week, the chemical manufacturer has brought together about 100 editors in the turf, ornamental and agricultural industries. I’m sitting down with their top technical and market experts to get a handle on what they have coming down the pike for LCOs.
- Exclusive interview with Stihl president Fred Whyte, Virginia Beach – The hand-held manufacturer is taking a stand for independent businesses and the American economy.
- A roundtable discussion with the ALCC and owners, Denver – I’ve asked eight top owners and the directors for the Colorado association to sit down to discuss water management, environmental impacts and the status of the market in the west.
- OPEI annual meeting, Colorado Springs – Every summer, the leaders from major equipment companies get together to discuss the state of their industry. I’ll be their reporting on their outlook, predictions and what new regulations mean for the sticker price of your iron.
Stay tuned to our blog and our news site for continuing coverage of these events. If I’m coming to your town, let me know and we can grab a cup of coffee. Or, if you have any questions for these groups, send them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here’s our weekly collection of fun and educational stuff from the web. Enjoy, and have a great weekend!
- It’s official – warmest spring on record.
- 5 great summer water movies.
- Canada’s pesticide ban means Toronto’s parks ‘going to seed.’
- New research on small business from Bank of America.
- Why you should drink more coffee.
- Above: Manufacturers focus on faster mowers for pros and homeowners alike. (via @OPEInstitute)